Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Homeschooling High School

I have to admit that the idea of homeschooling through high school intimidates me. I have a seventh grader and although it's still a few years away, I feel the need to prepare. First, I started looking at my options. The schools in my area aren't bad, but I feel like it is important to allow highschoolers a lot of freedom in how they spend their time. It is a time to grow and develop your talents, and I am not convinced that the schools offer that.

In Idaho, we are allowed to dual enroll. My kids may take any classes they want at the public schools. Right now my 2nd grader is taking P.E. and music at the school. This works out perfectly since the school is right behind our house. It's just a quick trip through the fence and she's there (although it's not too fun walking there in the cold). This is another option I am considering for my soon-to-be eighth grader. But this would be mostly for electives.

There is also a homeschool co-op that I am considering for next year. It is very successful and my kids already have friends that attend. The positives to the co-op is that it is only once a week, no daily driving to get my son to class, and he will be around other students like himself. The classes seem to be quite rigorous and the variety of classes is different than the public school offers. But I would still only use it for electives.

So it looks like I will be doing the majority of it here at home. When I first started thinking about it I didn't think I could do it. How can I pull this altogether so that my son is prepared for college? I started researching and found a book by Lee Binz called Setting The Records Straight. The book breaks down how to create a high school transcript and it makes it so easy!! I am actually motivated to get started and plan on making one for this second semester of seventh grade. Not only does it show how to create a transcript but it also shows what classes are required for each year, how to grade, and how to track your students successes. Now I feel like I can do it. I think it will also be helpful with my fourth and second graders. Lee Binz also has a website at www.thehomescholar.com.

What have you found to help with homeschool record keeping?


5 comments:

  1. I am HSing a highschooler right now. I have to say it is an adventure. We keep detailed account of what she learns so she can recieve the credit she needs. She plans to go to college/university and she can do entrance exams and tests to prove how she is doing. This works for us. I dont follow a offical way to keep record but just detailed lists work for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy,
      It's good to know it can be done. I bet the tests will be very helpful in proving what they have learned. Thanks for reading!
      Laci

      Delete
  2. I'm homeschooling a high schooler now too.
    I have a daily page that I write on. I keep track of her activities and her school work.
    Admittedly I forget at times; it really takes getting into the habit. But I have all of them in one place and I will be able to put together a pretty comprehensive transcript one day...
    ...I HOPE!

    You can check out my blog at:
    http://taytayhser.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, one other thought.
    I spent alot of time being very scared and intimidated of high school...now that I've educated myself, it's a breeze! (sorta...LOL)
    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      Thanks for the support! The more thought I put into it, the more excited I get.
      Laci

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...