Friday, January 20, 2012

To Vote or Not to Vote?

I have always been a bit of a rebel (okay a lot of a rebel). I grew up in a small town that was 90% Republican and 95% Mormon. So, unsurprisingly, there was not a lot of diversity. If you weren't hard-core into religion, which I wasn't, then you were automatically an outcast. Add to the mix that I was born into a long line of staunch Democrats. Socially, it would seem I was doomed. Fortunately, I did alright, and made my way precariously through high school without too much trouble.

In my early twenties, I was what I would consider, a default Democratic Mormon. However, by the time I was twenty-five, I officially knew that church wasn't for me. Leaving the religion that I was raised with really rocked my boat. If that wasn't for me, then what was? What did I believe in? This post isn't really about religion, but it all led up to one defining moment for me. When I stopped being a rebel, and figured out who I was and what I believed in.

There are many circumstances that have brought me to where I am now politically. I'm confused. The more I research, the harder time I have knowing who to support. It seems there is so much hateful advertising, that I can barely stand to watch. All of the problems this country suffers from seem to originate from one underlying problem, government in cahoots with big business. It's obvious who is running this country and it's certainly not the people. It's not about what's best for the country, but what is best for the party, and the constituents, which happen to be either a gigantic company or a gigantic government entity.

I haven't decided which person will receive my vote yet but as a homeschooler I am always looking for ways to enrich our experiences. Ron Paul has a section on his website about homeschoolers, and what he plans to do for us. He claims he has introduced legislation to provide homeschool parents a $5000 tax credit to help pay for tutors, books, computers, and other educational needs. Click. That is a major plus for me. Is it enough to vote for him, I am not sure yet.

Fast forward to the present. I still live in a community heavily influenced by the LDS church and a red state, but now I'm okay with it. I figure I'll never fit in and I'm getting used to it. I'm a secular homeschooler (almost an oxymoron) without a political party. Instead of a rebel I'd like to say that I forge my own route. I like doing things my way. Most secular homeschoolers do.

Who do you plan on voting for?

4 comments:

  1. I can honestly say I haven't really gotten into the campaigning that is going on right now! I know it is terrible thing to admit but seriously we gave up cable about a year ago and only have netflix (and by the way loving it:). So we don't get bombarded with all the ads. I voted for Obama last time around (first time voting ever)but have to say I very confused this time around! I am like you though I think that homeschoolers should come together and make all the candidates aware that we are here!! Great post thanks for making me think so early on a Sunday morning:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Netflix. It's so nice not listening to commercials! I usually avoid all the political stuff on tv just because it becomes such a poo-slinging competition. It is definitely getting harder to decide who is the best candidate while sifting through the pointless stuff. Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not very impressed with ANYONE.
    Being outside of the box has it's perks, choosing a politician that represents me is NOT one of them!

    I hadn't heard that about Ron Paul...at least he's thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The choices are definitely not too enticing this time around. What to do?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...